Welcome, friend, to Mythgard Miscellany! Miscellany is a catch-all place for fan and scholar creation. A place for us to gather, share, and celebrate the works we love, and broaden our fantasy horizons – often including, but also well-beyond Middle Earth. Here, we’ll share thoughts and insights about books and films, and highlight the creativity of our community. Want to share a short masterclass? Exhibit your art? Perform your poetry? Record a panel discussion on a topic of your choice? This is your chance! We want to celebrate your passions, research, hobbies, and ideas on this new platform.
We’ll aim to curate all content as it is created into easy to navigate hubs – so no matter what you’re a fan of, you’ll find your home here. But keep in mind- it’s a work in progress.
Other Minds and Hands – An Open and Friendly Discussion of Tolkien Adaptation
Thursdays at 4:30pm EST
Join The Tolkien Professor, Dr Corey Olsen, and Mythgard’s Adaptation expert Dr Maggie Parke, for a pleasant and curious chat about adaptations, analysis, ideas, and info.
Pub Night Chat: The Dark Crystal!
Cozy informal conversation for Dark Crystal fans and new discoverers! Kerra Fletcher will facilitate an enthusiastic chat about the stories you love from the movie, TV show, books, lore, fandom, graphic lit! What has the story of the Dark Crystal meant in our lives? What do we wonder? How do we wish to grow the fandom? Register below for the zoom.
Sunday, February 5, 6pm Eastern
Sunday, March 19th at 6:00 PM Eastern
- Have you ever worn a handknit sock? No? It’s like getting a foot massage all day.
- Have you ever sat in a class or a meeting with Sparrow? I was knitting socks.
- Sparrow, why do you make your own socks, can’t you buy them for much less money off a rack? You go right ahead. More sock yarn for me.
Please join me, Sparrow, for a pub night of sock knitting. If you’re an experienced knitter, join us for a Knit Knight and Gab!
If you’re a beginning knitter, there will be such patient and careful instruction! I’m going to demonstrate how to make a wee little ornament sock… because it’s the same technique as for an adult sock and every size in between.
You will need:
- Yarn, not too tiny if you’re a beginner. About 40 yards of worsted weight will do or larger. If you’re experienced, go ahead and bring about 15 yards of fingering weight.
- A tapestry needle. That’s a sewing needle with an eye big enough that you could get that yarn through it and a blunt tip.
- Circular knitting needles appropriate to your yarn. Beginners, with that worsted weight yarn I think you should use a size 6 needle or larger, and I really do mean circular needles—with long cables—even if your aunt Agatha says to do it on double pointed needles. Aunt Agatha is a madwoman. Experienced knitters, choose your own equipment!
We will use these techniques:
- Judy’s Magic Cast-on
- Half-hitch increases
- Magic Loop circular method
- Stockinette stitch
- Short row heel
- Wrap & turn & slip
- Garter stitch cuff
- Knit-two-together-through-the-back-loop cast off
Here are my own tutorials one, two, and three. You will hear references to my former fandom in which I was an enthusiastic participant. Unfortunately, the author of the work which I loved has proven to be someone who hates my family. What a loss for that person that they no longer enjoy my positive regard.
How can you get involved?
We want to hear from you!
All are invited to submit a piece of art, cosplay, music, film, a paper, a mini-class, a poem, dance performance, analysis, discussion, a recipe for lembas, a cake interpretation of the Goblet of Fire, or a model of Lyra’s Oxford… whatever! Dream big, and we’ll help offer a platform for you to share.
Experts at Mythgard:
Do you have an expertise you want to share? These are for professional academics, practitioners, and industry experts who wish to share a one-off lecture, or a short-series class you could teach, or a panel you could create. We’d love to hear about it!
- Open Classes– 30-60 minute sessions on a topic
- Chats- 45-60 minute panels and roundtables to explore a theme.
- Columns- Short written pieces on a subject
- Presentations – recordings or short films
- We’re open to other formats – get in touch!
- Let us know a bit more here
More questions? email us! [email protected]
Topics in the works:
Science Fiction, Adaptation, Gothic Lit, Fantasy Lit, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Sherlock, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, Conventions/Cosplay/Fan Culture, Crime Fiction, Marvel, DC, Languages and Translations, Disney/Pixar, Classics, Pop Culture – Television/Streaming series, or Films/Limited Series… for a start. Write to us with more ideas!
The Elements of Miscellany…thus far
Mythgard Movie Club is back, and we’ll be discussing 2022’s The Batman (dir Matt Reeves). We’ll chat about Batman through the years, how this fits in, the adaptation and writing journey, take questions, and talk to some superfans and superfancritics as we ponder and pontificate the allure of this batty hero.
Date: Sunday, August 7
Time: 3pm EST
Join us as we geek out on films we love, hate, and need to debate! Books and games into films is a hot topic, and we’ll help you navigate the terrain! Join Dr. Maggie Parke, Director of Mythgard, PhD in Adaptations and Fan Management, and her panels of nerd experts, talking about recent adaptations.
Click here for the archive of original MMC for science fiction and fantasy films and television.
Asynchronously discuss the SilmFilm project, Mythgard on LOTRO, Mythgard Academy, or simply hang in the Community Hearth (the writers hang over in that corner with all the spilled ink). Click here to reach the Mythgard Forums!
More Elements are Coming!
WriterSpace is open time to work on your own projects in good company. Our cooperative virtual space is designed for creative writers — and all are welcome, whatever your project.
Want to see what’s on other Mythgardians’ reading lists? Make it easy for your fellow dragons read your reviews? Click here to reach the Mythgard group on Goodreads!